Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Pre-Chemo Yesterday-Chemo today

I had my pre-chemo visit with the doctor, or really with his nurse practitioner yesterday. The good news is that all my blood test came back really good. They even have a test that tells how much water your body has or something like that. She told me that my fluid intake has been really good and to keep it up. I just looked at her and smiled. I was a little confused because she made it sound like I was drinking a lot of water, I didn't bother to tell her that my main liquid consumption is COFFEE!!!!!

It was also good to know that my fatigue is being caused by the chemo and not because I'm anemic . . . my red and white blood cells are all looking really good. She reminded me and I'm glad she did, that on average chemo zaps 50% of your normal energy level. I then remebered reading and hearing about that, I just forgot and also didn't think it would hit so soon.

To better help me cope with all this I need to start thinking about it a little different. I'm a pretty positive person, but in certain situations one has to face reality and too much positive thinking can actually have a negative effect, especially when a positive result is statistically against you. So, instead of thinking and waiting for the next day to be better, and being bummed when it's not, I have to realize I'm going to have more "not so good days" and less "really good ones". So my mind set has got to be that most days will be "not so good" or "worse" and then when I do have the good days it will be a nice surprise and I can take advantage of it. The nurse did say that as hard as it may sound . . . . some exercise is really good for battling the fatigue.

She also looked at my hands and said I need to get a good intensive lotion for my hands and feet. She said that sometimes they can get so dry that they really hurt and she said I don't want that happening if possible. So I've got to get some good lotion and put it on 3 times a day!!! I have pretty dry skin to begin with and it doesn't get lotioned even once a day . . . I'm just not too good at that kind of thing . . . you know . . . taking care of ME, so 3 times a day will be a lot. Maybe I can get Chelsea and Richard to help, that would be nice and relaxing.

Ok, gotta go for chemo. I'll write more later or tomorrow.

Keep Smilin'
Hugs,
Wendy

No comments: