Friday, October 24, 2008

Polymyalgia Rheumatica

This is what my oncologist thinks might be causing my muscle pain. He did a blood test that showed a low level of this and the best treatment is a low dose of steroids. So he's called me in some prednizone which I have to pick up tomorrow and start taking. If the prednizone does not make it better, then it's not Polymyalgia Rheumatica.

My opinion is that it's not this weird thing, mostly because the parts of the body that are usually effected by this are not the parts that I'm having the most trouble with. BUT I could be wrong and I guess we'll know early next week . . . .if the steroids help or not . . . again, I said I could be wrong.

Today was a little stressful because I start getting ready for radiation next week and I also have to try and see if I can get my dentures and teeth pulled and also start the biophosphenates. It's all in the timing of everything and the doctor is going to get some answers for me and try to help me with making it all work out. The big deal is that I have to start the biophosphenates by November 26th, they have to be started within 8 weeks of the last chemo treatment. Once on this drug, no dental work should be done because there is a very rare but possible chance of jaw bone problems.

I think I can get my teeth pulled while I'm doing radiation, he's checking on that, but my concern is if I'll feel well enough to go in for radiation right after having this major oral surgery. I had hoped to have a week to heel up, but the radiation can't wait, we have to get that started right away.

I'm just not going to let myself stress about this . . . it will work out, one way or another.

I met my radiation oncologist and 2 of his nurses today, like most everyone else at the cancer center . . . . they are very nice.

So that's my medical update for the moment. I hope you all have a great weekend :)

Keep Smilin'
Wendy

No comments: