Thursday, September 25, 2008

Stage Three-Bisphosphonate

I did not know there was going to be a friggin' Stage Three!!!!!!!!!!!! I still have one more chemo treatment, next Friday, Oct 3rd. After that I will get a 3 1/2 week rest and then meet with my oncologist and radiologist to discuss my Radiation Therapy. At that time I will learn more about "Stage Three".
I just picked up the information packet and consent form that explains Stage Three. This is all about a Study they are doing for patients who take bisphosphonates after chemo. The study is optional, I don't have to do it, but I don't know what my other choices are yet. I have plenty of time to consider doing this study or not, it just has to be started within 8 weeks of completing chemo. The drug is either given by IV or in pill form. I don't get to choose the method though, the study group chooses that for me. Here is what the info sheet says about

"Why is this study being done?" "This study is investigational and is being done to find out if adding a drug (a bisphosphonate) to hormonal therapy or chemotherapy will help prevent cancer from spreading to the bones or other parts of the body. "Bisphosphonates are a group of drugs that have strong effects on the bones and have been shown to strengthen the bones in many patients who take them."


Well, all of this sounded ok until I got the part about "side effects"!! There are different possible side effects depending on if you get this through an IV or take it in pill form. The possible side effects from the IV method sound a whole lot like the possible side effects from chemo.

I am really struggling with some of the side effects I've had from the chemo. My biggest complaints are fatigue, which is becoming extreme and body/muscle aches, which are getting worse. I think I actually have a form of myalgias, that is a less common side effect of one of the chemo drugs I am taking.

SO, the thought of MORE side effects does not thrill me at all. And here is the kicker . . . . this drug is taken for 3, yes that's 3 years!!!!

I'm attaching a pictures that is a close up of a rose. Wouldn't it be great to be able to climb in, curl up, and have all life's problems disappear!!

Keep Smilin'
Big Hugs,
Wendy



No comments: