Friday, August 22, 2008

4 down, 2 to go

I had my 4th chemo treatment yesterday. It was a very long day. I got to the cancer center at 11am for blood work, then a visit with the doctor, who was running very late, so chemo ran late and then I had to get an MRI done on my lower back. I didn't get home until 7pm!!

One thing the doc is doing different this time is he's not having me take the Nulasta Shot like usual. My white blood counts have been really good and he wants to see if it makes a difference in the bone pain I've been having after each treament. So hopefully I won't be in bed for 3 days feeling like total crud like before. But I will really have to monitor my temperature and see the doctor in the next week or so to have blood test to make sure my white blood count doesn't drop too much since I'm not getting the shot.


I am pretty pooped today. The effects of the chemo do get stronger with each treatment and seem to hit sooner each time. By last night my coffee was already tasting like crap!!


I talked to a lady in the waiting room yesterday. She was really nice and we started talking about the hair loss stuff. She is done with chemo and her hair has grown back, etc. I still have my eyebrows which is a really cool thing because people look really weird without eyebrows!! But I started out with really thick eyebrows and although they are still there, they are thinner. This lady told me yesterday that she had her eyebrows up until her 6th and last chemo treatment and then they fell out!!! GREAT!! Oh well, I'll just try to be happy that I don't have to shave my pits or legs for a while.


My chemo brain must be kicking in because I just went back and corrected about 10 typos in the above stuff and that's just not like me. So if something sounds weird because I typed it wrong or left out a word, please try to understand!!


Ok, time for a nap, or least I hope so. I'm finding out that steroids I'm taking not only make it hard for me to sleep sometimes, they are also the cause or possible cause of many other not so fun symptoms I am having. BUT, I'm not having a problem with nausea and vomiting which are my 2 least favorite things in the world, so they are working in that respect,so I'll try again not to complain too much. To clarify, if needed, the steroids are in the anti-nausea drugs that I take.

Keeping a positive attitude, like most other things is getting harder with each chemo treatment. But, I'm hanging in there and trying my best to keep my head up and remind myself that this is only temporary, this is only temporary!! Oh yeah, I talked to the nurse about the increadibly emotional days I've been having after chemo and she said that can also be caused by the STEROIDS!!! It's good to know that I'm not just going nuts, there is a reason for it, which helps just a little bit. But dang it's hard to get through those days, emotions can be so overwhelming, as well as very draining!!

OK, I'm going to hit the bed now and try to get some rest. I hope you are all doing well and that you are able to fully enjoy the upcoming weekend. This will be the first year in many that I won't be attending our local county fair . . . that's kind of hard for me to even think about, as it's been a pretty big part of my photography and life for the last few years. Oh well, who knows, maybe I'll get a burst of energy and head over there for a little bit . . . . . there is always wishful thinking!!

Keep Smilin'

Hugs,

Wendy

No comments: