Monday, September 7, 2009

Been Sick with a Kidney Infection

Hello Everyone,

Boy has it been a rough week!!! Last Sunday I felt the first signs of a urinary tract infection . . .burning when I went to the bathroom. It only happened once and then went away. Monday it happened a couple of times and then stopped again. I called to make an appointment with my doctor but he only had one opening and was at the same time I was supposed to be at my oncologist.

Tuesday morning I was feeling pretty bad so I canceled my oncologist appointment and went to the immediate care center for my bladder. At this time the only symptom I had was burning when I went and needing to go A LOT!!! I got a prescription for antibiotics and was on my way.

By Thursday afternoon I was feeling worse, much worse. Now my bladder and kidney were hurting and having muscle spasms every 5-6 seconds. I went back to the doctor and he changed my medicine saying what I was taking obviously wasn't working. By this time I was feeling really, really bad and it hurt to even walk!! The doctor said he was going to send some of my urine in for a culture.

By Saturday afternoon I was even worse!!!! I felt so awful and it felt like my kidney was going to explode, it hurt so bad. I had my hubby take me to the Emergency Room at the hospital. They hooked me up to some liquids, did some blood test and were able to look up the results of my urine culture the other doctor had sent in. Ends up I have a type of kidney infection that is resistant to 3 different antibiotics, 2 of which I'd already been given. So they put in an IV and gave me a different antibiotic through the IV and wrote me a new prescription for pills that should work this time.

The doctor mentioned me staying the night at the hospital and the look on my face must not have been a good one, so then he said OR you can come back tomorrow for another IV antibiotic. I said I'd come back 'cuz, I did not want to stay the night there. While I was a the hospital my temperature spiked to 103.6

Well I went in yesterday for my 2nd dose of IV antibiotics and because I wasn't much better than the day before the doctor wanted me to come in the next day for another IV dose!!!! Although my kidney was not killing me like the day before, but I guess my blood pressure was pretty low, which they say is better than being high, but still not sure why it was so low.

So I woke up this morning feeling like crap. I took my temperature, not bad, it was 100.1. I had a cup of coffee, took all my medicine and got ready to go back for another dose of IV antibiotics. During check in the nurse gets all my vitals . . temp, blood pressure, etc. My blood pressure was back to normal but I was shocked when he said my temp was 103!!! When the doctor came in to see me he said he wants me to come back AGAIN tomorrow for another IV dose. Oh my gosh this is getting old and frustrating, but still better than staying at the hospital. He said he doesn't know why my temp is still so high but he doesn't want to stop the IV antibiotics until I no longer have a temperature.

So, all I can say is I better not have a temperature tomorrow or I might just scream!!!!!! What a wasted week this has been!!!

I'll write again and let you know what happens tomorrow.

Keep Smilin'
Wendy

No comments: